Friday, May 21, 2010


Wow. It’s been a really long time since I’ve done this. With my 31st bday quickly approaching, I’m feeling the pressure of last year’s resolution bearing down on me like a repo-man at a garage sale. Did that analogy make sense? Regardless, last year I resolved to do 30 new things during my 30th year. Here’s the list:
1. Go to Yosemite, and camp like an adult. Check.
2. Vegas Roll at RA Sushi. Check (and YUM).
3. Drink better wine and beer. Goodbye 2 buck chuck and Budlight, you’ve been good friends but, alas, it’s time to move on.
4. Go back to school. CHECK! I graduate sometime between Sept and Nov with a BS in Nutrition. I can’t believe it and will be SO proud of myself once I’m done. It’s taken me a long time to narrow the field, but I’ve finally settled on teaching high school. Look out teenage angst!
5. Become a Nanny. This has been the most fulfilling job I’ve had (as of yet). Jackson is amazing and has taught me so much. I can’t wait to have one of my own
6. Buy a new car. I did it, all by myself- car payments and all. It feels great to have adult responsibilities.
7. Clean up my credit. This has been a work in progess since the mistakes of my early twenties but I’m happy to say that I’d qualify for a decent APR if I so desired. The credit bureau’s can suck it!
8. Get a new puppy. Well, she’s a dog now, but Annie is new nonetheless. Rodrigo and I are both happy to have her, and her annoying skin allergies.
9. (Another) new job as Captain for The Abbey Catering and Event Company. It’s pretty fun and, most importantly, it pays the bills.
10. Learn a few life lessons. Relationships are all about practice and figuring out what works (and doesn’t) for you. I think I’ve matured over the years and have made a concerted effort to pick better men and make better choices.
11. Joined a 2 person hiking club. Trissy and I go nearly every weekend with Annie. It’s amazing to me that San Diego offers so much ecological variety.
12. Made new friends- at least 4!
13. Became a regular member of the best dinner club ever! Once a month we indulge in great food, wine, and company.
14. Go to Church. I’ve been attending Mission Gathering Christian Church for over a year now and have only missed a handful of Sundays. It’s awesome to be a part of something that makes me feel connected to God without becoming part of the Religious Judgment Machine. I don’t go to church to judge, I go to feel good about myself and others. One of my favorite quotes is “You Christians are so unlike your Christ.” – Ghandi. Sad, but true.
15. Be comfortable in my own skin. Ok, well actually I’ve been this way for quite awhile, but it’s a biggie and therefore deserves mention. It makes me so sad to hear friends talk about how unattractive or worthless they feel. Everyone has faults, the trick is to focus on the great things and forget about the extra jiggle or other inadequacies that come with life. Confidence is 90% of the battle.
16. Make the Deans and President’s list. This one goes into the school category and is achieved with a 3.85 and 3.95 GPA. Straight A’s is something I never thought I was smart enough to achieve. Turns out that’s one of the things I was wrong about.
17. Reconnect with old friends. This one is a shout-out to Agi, my high school BFF that I lost touch with somewhere in my early 20’s. I’m SO glad to have her back in my life!
18. Go with the flow. This one’s a work in progress, but this year I’ve made significant effort not to plan out every detail of my (and everyone else’s) existence. I’ve tried to live my life by the idea that there is plan for me and it’s not up to me to decide what it is.
19. Be Happy. This is not the first time in my life I’ve been happy- 2008 was a pretty good year, haha- but I am. That’s that.
20. Practice Patience. Huge. I have none. Huge.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
Ok, so I have 10 left and until 6/1 to do them. To those that feel adventurous, I need help. I’d also like to replace some of the 1-20 that are filled with sentiment with physically new things. Less talk, more action!

On a side note- it’s so bizarre reading my earlier post. 2008/2009 were filled with the highest highs and lowest lows. I’m glad I made it to the other side and wouldn’t have if not for my close friends and family. As terrifying as it is to be officially “in my thirties” and not just on the cusp, I’m excited about what the next year will bring. 30 was about recovery and personal growth. I’m not sure what the theme of 31 will be, but it’s going to be awesome!

1 comment: